“…One of the best news reporters in Britain,” Bill Ludford, Programmes Director
ITV breakfast franchise.
“….Skilful, courageous reporting,” Simon Cole, Managing Editor, Sky News.
Key talents include:
*Fast, accurate and crisply-written coverage of rapidly-breaking stories throughout the world.
*Speedy grasp of complex issues, coupled with talent to distil them vividly.
*Calm, clear and comprehensive unscripted live reporting under pressure.
*Agile use of new media.
British Forces’ Broadcasting
Video Journalist December 2010 -
Defence Correspondent April 2003 – May 2010
- Repeated assignments to Afghanistan. Reporting under fire on several occasions whilst covering evolving British mission.
- Broke news of failures leading to biggest UK loss in campaign.
- Exclusive award-nominated documentary aboard nuclear submarine.
- Only TV journalist to fly in RAF Typhoon.
Moscow Correspondent September 2000 – April 2003
- First British TV reporter into Afghanistan after 9-11. Embedded with Northern Alliance forces, broke the news of NATO-lead attack on Kabul.
- Exclusive on first “friendly fire” air strike.
- Responsible for coverage from across former Soviet Union.
- Regular reports from Grozny on Chechen War.
- Working knowledge of Russian.
Reporter March 1992 – September 2000
- Recruited to strengthen and lead by example relatively inexperienced reporting team.
- Covered foremost news events, home and abroad, including Balkan Conflict.
Chief Reporter 1985 – 1992
- Global remit to head up coverage of international news.
- Live reports from fall of Berlin Wall and ending of Cold War.
- Accredited War Correspondent crossed into Kuwait with liberation forces.
Central & ATV, Birmingham
- Acquired and developed full range of skills in daily television newsgathering and production.
News Producer 1973-1978
- Key member of busy newsroom, filing and updating reports for hourly bulletins.
Evening Echo, Lincoln
Senior Reporter 1972-1973
- Gathering news from a diverse area to serve daily deadlines.
Lincolnshire Standard, Boston
Trainee Reporter 1969-1972
- Achieved thorough grounding on traditional accuracy-obsessed weekly title.
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING
Carre’s Grammar School 1962-1968
- 6 GCE “O” Levels
Metropolitan Police Cadet Training College 1968-1969